Gondeure Tofu and Corn Jeon: Two Perfect Summer Dishes
Braised gondeure with tofu
Full of veggie protein, calcium, phosphorous and iron, gondeure is said to build strong bones and prevent anemia. Tender fresh shoots of gondeure are blanched to make side dishes or they can be pickled or used to wrap rice. Dried gondeure is soaked in water first. It is then stir-fried to make namul or mixed with rice to make gondeure rice.
At first glance, it looks like just another veggie, but fresh gondeure, which is ripe for harvest now, is full of nutrition, packed with vegetable proteins, calcium, phosphorus and iron. It can be pickled or used in seasoned veggie dishes, wraps, or cooked with rice to make gondeure bap.
- 1 blk tofu
- 200 g gondeure
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 each red/green chili
- 4 tbsp perilla oil
- 1 tbsp whole sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp grain syrup
- 2 tbsp organic cooking oil
- Cut tofu into bite-size blocks. Oil the pan with 2 tbsp cooking oil and 1 tbsp perilla oil, and fry tofu till golden brown on both sides.
- Blanch gondeure and cut into small pieces. Chop chili finely and mix with soy sauce, 3 tbsp perilla oil, 2 tbsp grain syrup, and 1 tbsp sesame seeds.
- Line a pot with tofu and top with seasoned gondeure.
- Put a little water in the pot in which gondeure was seasoned to collect the remaining seasonings.
- Put this water into the pot from step 3 and boil down.
Corn contains vitamin B1, folic acid, potassium, magnesium, ferulic acid, and iron. It is good to eat simply boiled or roasted on the cob but making jeon enhances the chewy texture with each kernel popping between the teeth when chewed. Corn is a versatile ingredient because no part of it is wasted, including the stalks and corn silk.
- 1 ear of corn
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/8 each of green, red, and orange bell peppers
- organic cooking oil
- Remove kernels from the cob. Grind half of them and leave the other half as they are.
- Chop all bell peppers into the size of corn kernels.
- Put the ingredients from steps 1 and 2 into a bowl, and add a little salt and flour to make the batter.
- Oil a pan and put one spoonful of batter into it. Fry till golden brown on both sides.
Source: The Korea Herald (July 09)