Inbebo Recipes: Bibimbap, the ultimate comfort food!
Meet Bibimbap (비빔밥) easily one of the most well-known and beloved Korean dishes. So what is all the hype about?
Bibimbap or “mixed rice with meat and assorted vegetables“ is a dish that can be made with endless variations! From homecooks to chefs, Bibimbap can be made with a variety of ingredients. Some prefer the dish with raw beef and raw egg yolk while others prefer cooked ingredients.
One chef shares his personal story on Bibimbap.
“As I was growing up, my mom used make bibimbap to get rid of vegetable side dishes (banchan) that needed to be used or when she wanted to make us something quick and easy. She would just take out a few sautéed vegetables, kimchi from the fridge, and add a sprinkle of seasoned seaweed strips. This simple vegetarian Bibimbap was home.”
The question becomes, how do you make your bibimbap? What’s your secret ingredient?
Here’s one recipe all home cooks can try!
INGREDIENTS FOR BIBIMBAP (SERVES 3 TO 4)
MEAT AND MEAT SAUCE
- 100g / 3.5 ounces beef mince (or other cuts)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
VEGETABLES AND OTHERS
- 250g (0.6 pounds) seasoned spinach
- 350g (0.8 pounds) seasoned bean sprouts – (You don’t have to use them up if you think it’s too much but I love having lots of vegetables on my bibimbap!)
- 100g (3.5 ounces) shiitake mushroom
- 120g (4.2 ounces) carrots (1 small)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt (1/4 tsp each will be used when cooking shiitake mushroom and carrots)
- 3 to 4 serving portions of steamed rice
- 3 or 4 eggs (depending on the serving portion)
- Some cooking oil to cook the meat, mushroom, carrots and eggs – I used rice bran oil.
- Some toasted seasoned seaweed, shredded (long thin cut)